It is not all about exercise

As well as spending time teaching karate and doing karate, I have found I like cooking.  It is not something that I have done a lot of over the years as I have always worked so speed is of the essence when you are hungry.

Nowadays, I try to cook at least once a week, I will prepare meal for the rest of the family and hopefully get some myself from the freezer.  The caveat for that is that they do not eat it all.

Yesterdays recipe was a chicken casserole with cheesy dumplings, it smelt good, it looked good to me as I put it in the oven, I had used 5 chicken breasts cut in half, and grated all the vegetables, what the eye does not register, the mouth cannot say no to! I had made the dumplings out of whole wheat flour, so it was an all round winner on health and satisfaction.  I hoped there would be some left for me for today but alas NOT!

It seems it was very well received, and consequently, none left for me!

My Chicken Casserole recipe was
The Casserole Pot

600 g Chicken Breasts or thigh cut into portions
1 Onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 Large Carrot grated
1 Celery stick grated
1 courgette grated
1 chicken stock pot (Knorr)
2 table spoons of cider vinegar
500ml water
50g butter for frying
1/4 teaspoon each of the following: Sage, Thyme and Tarragon
Salt and Pepper
50g grated cheese
Oven heat 180 degrees

Method

1.  Using some of the butter, brown the chicken and remove from the pan
2.  Using the rest of the butter, now add all the grated and chopped ingredients cook until soft
3.  Add the chicken back to the pan
4.  Add the stock pot and the water, bring the boil whilst stirring the stock pot in
5.  Add the cider vinegar and simmer off for around 10 to 15 minutes
6.  Put in your casserole dish and cover and add to the oven for about a hour
7.  Make dumplings as per your dumpling recipe, add cheese to the mix and make them into balls. ( I also double the amount on the packet!)
8.  At the end of the hour, add the dumplings to the casserole and allow to cooked covered for another 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts